This post comes to you poolside in Koh Phangan, Thailand! I have a very mixed review of Thailand thus far, so hold on tight.
As you can imagine and may have read on the Facebook, I absolutely adored my China Adventure tour group. This group was much the same caliber as last summer's Ultimate European, especially reminiscent of the Egypt sub group. Those going to Egypt and China are traveling to learn, explore, discover...you know, the right reasons. I think that these are the people who I enjoy traveling with most because we are about the same things: no one complained about how many steps there were to get to the great wall; using a squatter toilet-basically just a hole in the ground-is seen as an adventure, not the worst thing to ever befall modern civilization; when a local guide talked to us about history, culture, or random facts, we listened, hungry for the information. These are my kindred spirits. These are the people that I want to meet when traveling. These are the people that make traveling rewarding in every moment-even a 3 hour delay on the tarmac. These are the people that make my heart break when our travel comes to an end. These are the people that, on parting, make me sob uncontrollably. These are the people that are missing entirely from my current travel companion group.
The group started in Koh Samui, a rather large island. It is very commercialized, but the shopping, bars, restaurants, and beaches are lovely. Ark bar was probably my favorite part of the island's conmercial life. It is right on the beach, has reasonable prices, and an extensive menu of Thai and western fare. They served pina coladas in coconuts! You could lay on the chairs on the beach and be served drinks and lunch, or sit under cover in an open air restaurant section. This came in handy when it monsooned just before lunch. We also went to a black moon party on Samui. The islands are famous for their neon black light full moon ragers, so they have a party now for any time in the moon cycle to drum up more business.
My favorite part of Samui, though, was what everyone else thought was lame. We went on a safari in massive, open back Jeeps: we saw monkeys pick coconuts, rode elephants, hiked to a waterfall with a waterslide on top, and ate lunch on the highest peak. In the afternoon, we went to Tanim Magic Gardens, a buddhist temple, and to see the golden Buddha. This was when I discovered how very different I am from everyone else on the tour. Tanim Magic Gardens is accessible by climbing down about three dozen stairs and then crossing a natural bridge. About the steps down, the complaining started: do we have to? How much further? Is it even worth it? I came to have a vacation, not get exercise! What's even down here? What was down there? Some serious Indiana Jonea shit! I felt like I had entered a film or an archeological discovery. I wanted to get out my bull whip and battle some angry natives with blow darts. It. Was. Awesome. Gorgeous. Inspiring. Google it, because yes. I was literally the only one that did not get to the bottom and then just turn back around. I was the sole person who wanted to explore.
I was in for an even ruder awakening when we went to the golden Buddha. You guys, there is more than one Buddha. He is sometimes a she. Buddha is not always fat. I was also the only one out of 30 that knew my Chinese zodiac animal, let alone that there is such a thing as the Chinese zodiac. Has no one else gone to a Chinese restaurant and looked at the placemat?
And this is not to say that there are not nice people on the tour. There are. My roommate is lovely. But....they are all here solely to sunbathe and drink. Mostly drink. There is one guy, an Australian, who had literally had a beer in his hand since 10am on July 6. Literally. Even on the ferry. It's just such a waste. Not that I haven't been drinking, but I would like to have more than a hazy memory of Thailand.
Our second island was Koh Tao. This is where we went snorkeling. I got so much better at it! I wasn't nearly as afraid as I normally am in water. Baby steps. I also wore a super sexy orange life vest. Yes. The snorkeling trip was amazing, but the island itself was very dirty. We went to a beach party....loads of grossness that we don't need to get into. If you care to know, ask me later about bathrooms and pouring drinks. Not the same story. Not that gross. The redeemer of the beach party was definitely fire limbo. Yes, it is just what it sounds like: limbo with the stick on fire.
Now, on Koh Phangan, there is nothing to do but sit at the beach, drink, or sit at the pool. Or blog to all of you lovelies! We are staying at a backpackers resort a long way from the main town because the beach is not nice near town. Hmmm.
I feel like my expectations for Thailand may have been a bit high. Maybe I'm not on the good islands, but this is just tourist take over. I have not been to a restaurant or hotel owned by a Thai--everything is owned by westerners. I am staying optimistic for the mainland, but this is just not the spot for me. It is certainly lovely, but those moments are fleeting at best.
No comments:
Post a Comment