Saturday, June 22, 2013

27. Transiting

Greetings from sunny, temperate Los Angeles!

I have been taking in loads of sun, but my SPF 100 is holding up well! I've been doing all if the quintessential tourist activities. The Getty was lovely. I toured the famous Central Library, saw the Bradbury Building, hit up mass at the cathedral, toured the Walt Disney Concert Hall....loved it!...and went to the MOCA. I was shocked actually at how much I enjoyed the MOCA, and it had nothing to do with coffee. I typically have minimal patience for contemporary art. I think that the collection mixed with a good flow from room to room made it enjoyable.

But what I really need to tell you all about happened last night. I went to the Getty with some girls from the hostel. Afterwards they headed for the beach, but I opted to hit Hollywood Boulevard. The bus system in LA is extensive, so getting back would not be an issue. I took a gazillion pictures. Yes, I was that girl.

When I was thoroughly exhausted, I consulted The Google for some transit map directions. This might only initially make sense to Tim, but this story is great, I promise. Google told me to take the 210 to Crenshaw and 67th and then transfer to the 40 until my stop.

So I did.

When I got off for the transfer, it was immediately evident by the copious amounts of trash on the sidewalk and the middle aged men hanging out on bicycles across the road that I had inadvertently discovered the ghetto. Now, I have nothing against ghettos or the people that live in them. I am not one of those girls that gets nervous and makes sure the doors are locked when I drive down Division. However, after a solid 10 minutes filled with strange looks from passersby on foot, bike, and car alike, an extremely pale white girl wearing a skirt starts to get anxious for the bus to come. 

And then the street lights turned on.

I have always been unafraid to set out on the sidewalk in any part of any city in broad daylight. Night is a different story. I may be brave but I do not aim to be stupid our reckless.

So! This is when a car does a U-turn in a busy street to pull up next to me. A police car.

Officer: Are you alright?
Me: Yes.
Officer: ...do...Do you live here?
Me: No. (pointing to the sign) I'm just waiting for the bus.
Officer: So you're just transiting?
Me: Yes. Google Maps told me to transfer here. 
Officer: Are you sure you're alright?
Me: Yes. Thank you.
Officer: You have a good night, miss.

Fail, Google. Epic fail. I'm not saying there should be a "ghetto advisory," but maybe degrees of safety for the time of day? Something...

No comments:

Post a Comment