Tuesday, May 14, 2013

24. Training

Did you miss me?!?!?!

I am only 35 days and a number of hours away from flying to Los Angeles. Which means that I am only 40 days away from CHINA!!!!!!!

It oddly seems more routine to travel now than it did at this time last year. I was so *frantic* when I was 5 weeks away. That is soooo 2012. I am cool and collected because I've been sticking to a strict conditioning regiment. 

My first bit of training came in February. With four consecutive days off from work, I needed to flee the mid-west. I bullied my bestie into picking me up form the airport, whether he liked it or not! I needed a vacation! And oh, was it amazing!

Phoenix, Arizona in February is lovely. 70s, sunny, and full of a variety of bars, this trip allowed me to not only visit my BFF while he's off doing Teach For America, but also to cross off state number 22. If you are unfamiliar with the KFH Travel rules, in order for a US State to "count," one must complete all of the following:

A. Spend the night
B. Visit a major city or attraction for at least 3 hours
C. Visit one of the following: State Capitol, Art Museum, National Park, or Historic Site.

I was a little too excited to remain dignified when I saw some of these:



And then there was the view! And bigger, iconic cacti:


One of his friends through TFA has a family cabin getaway in Prescott, Arizona, a bit north of Phoenix. It was lovely! There was still snow on the ground and we went for an epic hike on a butte.




We went to this bar where someone could practice his skillz:


All-in-all, a great trip!



BUT! That was only round one. I had training wheels for that one! I was picked-up from and dropped-off at the airport. And I had a personal tour guide. I had an in on the local scene and everyone that he introduced me to had to be nice because I was a friend from home visiting from soooo faaaaar awaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy! The packing, I have to say, was relatively flawless. I have developed a system and it is amazing. Like me.

I decided to ramp it up for the final dress rehearsal: New York City! That, and I wanted to visit a choir buddy who had moved to the Big Apple about a year ago. I made it from La Guardia to his Brooklyn apartment with ease. Form that Brooklyn apartment to Newark, however, was a different story. Newark sucks. Don't do it.

But! New York! Lots of great bars in Brooklyn. You can't get bored there. I went to MOMA and saw Starry Night as well as the visiting Scream. I popped by 30 Rock and St. Patrick's Cathedral. I made a pseudo pilgrimage to Babycakes and then hung out in nearby Washington Square Park. We went to see Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark on Broadway--my first Broadway show seen on Broadway. We stayed after the get some signatures. I even scored a picture with Spider-Man himself!

On Saturday we couldn't decide whether we should go to La Traviata or part of The Ring Cycle at the Metropolitan Opera.

Me: Well, I have never seen the Ring Cycle.
Tim: The set for that is really cool. But La Traviata is a short run and it is closing Saturday night.
Me: La Traviata is playing in GR in May and my friend is in the chorus, so I am for sure going. I don't think I want to see the same show twice after such a short period of time.
Tim: La Traviata has Diana Damrau playing Violetta.
Me: I WANT TO BE HER WHEN I GROW UP!!!!1!
Tim: So...?
Me: Well...
Tim: We could see both.
Me: Sold!

So we got standing room tickets to both shows. After the matinee, we grabbed some food and then headed to the Met Museum. Of course, Tim took us on the scenic route through Central Park. It was such a lovely day for a stroll. There was a visiting exhibition of Civil War photography. We spent far too long in those rooms, but it was really interesting, though I was quite tired after. We sat and watched Washington Cross the Delaware and then we were heading to the impressionist rooms when...Holy Hannah! We need to go. Now!

We all but sprinted back across Central Park and, gasping for breath, made it to the Opera with just over a minute to spare. Of course, they never start on time, but what if they had this time! It would have been terrible to miss the first act...which for this particular opera lasts about half an hour. Hee.

Me: {flipping through the program} This one is Moulin Rouge, righ-- PLACIDO DOMINGO IS IN THIS!!!!!!!
Tim: Oh good. You know who that is.
Me: PLACIDO DOMINGO IS IN THIS AND WE ALMOST DIDN'T COME TO SEE IT?!?!?!?
Tim: Yeah. He should be good.
Me: {with childlike wonder}...I'm going to see an opera with Diana Damrau and Placido Domingo!

We decided, after leaving an opera performance that defies all praise, that we had absorbed so much culture that day that we needed to balance the universe: we drank until the wee small hours of the morning. Great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment